Monday, January 5, 2015

USSVI NATIONAL ARCHIVIST


 
 Message from the USSVI Archivist and Librarian Submitted by: Alfred H Singleman Jr on 1/5/2015

 
From the USSVI Archivist Joe Mathis

 
Happy New Year! I am the USSVI National Archivist. I am in charge of retaining records on both the National and Base levels. I have the ability to store base documents digitally and on paper. AIMM has provided a climate controlled building for storage of physical documentation. I was supplied with a portable hard drive to store digital material as well. I prefer digital, its easier to retrieve. I invite National and Base commanders to send me any material they want archivedbase newsletters, by-laws, minutes from base meetings, etc. If you have any questions or concerns about the archives, please feel free to contact me, Joe Mathis at usnjrm@yahoo.com.

 From the USSVI Librarian Joe Mathis

 Happy New Year! In case you dont know, Im in charge of the USSVI/AIMM National Submarine Reference Library. To date, the library has over 4,000 items on inventory. Most of these items were donated by fellow submariners or their families. There are books from all of the United States conflicts from the Civil War to today. The library includes books on both the United States Navy and navies from around the world. I am working diligently to organize and catalog all these publications. I have the USSVI and AIMM libraries separated and in the process of organizing them by conflict. Included in this inventory are the Submarine National Review/American Submariner magazine, the Polaris magazine from the Submarine Veterans of WWII, the Submarine Review from the Naval Submarine League, Proceedings magazine and several other periodicals relating to submarines. I do not have shelf space to have the entire library on the shelves, so I have removed the periodicals and put them in storage. As I organize the remaining library, I will removed duplicate copies from the shelf and also put them in storage. AIMM has provided a climate controlled building for storage of these periodicals and excess books. I have received a few research requests over the past year; mt asking for specific articles from the Submarine National Review/American Submariner magazine. I intend to keep this a research only library. If you have any questions or concerns about the library, please feel free to contact me, Joe Mathis at usnjrm@yahoo.com.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: